Friday, September 12, 2008

All the Wind & Rain that Makes a Hurricane

Well our original plan, back on Monday or Tuesday was to wait out Hurricane Ike at our house. However, with the changes in tracts and the mandatory evac on our particular zip code for Harris County, we packed up yesterday morning. I headed out first with the kids and dogs to Humble to hang with my SIL & BIL. We brought food, water, sewing projects, you know all the essentials to a sleepover. What is normally a one hour drive ended up taking me two, how crazy is that! Anyway, Chris followed shortly and ended up with only an hour drive, as did the in-laws.
Last night was very strange when we ran to Target to get some extra baby food. Gas stations had already run out of gas at 3 of the stations we passed. The stores themselves were not too overcrowded. There was quite a long line at Lowes of people picking up plywood, that was at 8 at night too. We saw a few businesses that had taped their windows, not boarded. I'm not really too certain what they think shipping/packing tape will help with if something blows through the window, but I guess they felt they ahd to do something.
Anyway, I think we are all going to just have a fun sleepover. However, we've talked about what to do if power goes out here, but is on at home. If we can easily get back to the house, then we'd head back home. Everyone stay safe!

No comments: