Monday, November 23, 2009

Maggie's First Day of School

October 19, 2009 Maggie started attending FCS with Cameron. She is in Mrs. Alma and Mrs. Maria's classroom everyday. Overall there are 16 kids that rotate through the classroom through the week, and I think Maggie is one of the few babies there every day. She is in class Monday - Thursday from 9A-2:30P. When her class day ends, Mrs. Magaly (teachers part time in her class and part time in the other MDO class) takes her home with her each day. Mrs. Amy is also in the other MDO class and watches Cam at the end of the day in aftercare. Three of Maggie's caretakers are originally from Mexico and are teaching her Spanish and English. How often do you get the opportunity for your baby to learn multiple languages when they are supposed to be the most receptive to them.
Maggie loves her teachers and gets excited to see all of them in the morning. She does occasionally cling to my leg and wants me to sit and visit with her when I first drop her off. She's one of the few babies that doesn't cry when left (she did one day when Mrs. Ami unloaded her from the car on a rainy day). And they tell me again and again how smart Maggie is, which is something every mother does want to hear! When the petting zoo came to visit for their Noah's Ark curriculum, Mrs. Alma said Maggie was the only one who enjoyed the animals and even laughed when a goat licked her. She's an animal person for sure.


Last weekend when we took the kids out to meet mom and dad at the farm, Maggie put her Spanish skills to the test (and Mommy). We were riding along in the car and she started pointing at the lunch bags I had packed. The red bag had food and the pink bag had drinks. I assumed she wanted a drink and picked up the pink bag to grab her drink cup. She looked at me very sternly and said "Rojo, momma!" I was laughing so hard at that point. I said "Oh, okay, so you want a snack?" And so she nodded yes. I will have to say those Spanish skills are being put to use, now I'm going to have to keep up with her in 2 languages!

No comments: